Thursday, March 11, 2010

1982: THE DARK CRYSTAL

What’s it about?

On “another world”, the conjunction of three suns results in the appearance of a mysterious powerful crystal and two new races -- the cruel and vulture-like Skeksis and the peaceful Mystics. After a thousand years, both races are dying out, but the Skeksis have succeeded in taking control of the world. A prophecy predicts that a Gelfling (an elf-like creature) will be the downfall of the Skeksis, so they have eradicated practically all of the race.

As the wisest of the Mystics lies on his deathbed, he sends the last of the Gelflings (or so he thinks) on a quest to find a missing shard of the crystal, which is in some fashion the key to defeating the Skeksis. Though he succeeds in finding the shard, he doesn’t know what to do with it, and soon the Skeksis are hunting him with a variety of fearsome monsters. The Gelfling’s journey takes him to many strange places in the world, but there is limited time in which to fulfill the prophecy.

Is it any good?

I didn’t really expect to end up writing about THE DARK CRYSTAL when I started watching it. I’d never seen it before, but it always sounded like a straight-up fantasy story with elves and crystals and sorcerers. And superficially that’s exactly what it is. But one of the big differences between this movies and other fantasy movies like THE CLASH OF THE TITANS (1981) or the SINBAD movies or LABYRINTH is that THE DARK CRYSTAL takes place on a world with no humans. In many ways, it might as well be an alien planet.

Like FANTASTIC PLANET (1973) or many of the planets in the STAR WARS movies, the world of THE DARK CRYSTAL has its own alien ecosystem. It’s not necessarily fully developed, but it is full of lots of strange creatures that don’t really have any traditional fantasy analogs. Instead, the world seems to be the product of imagination run amok -- just like a good alien planet should be.

Of course, there are limits to imagination. The world of THE DARK CRYSTAL still has forests and swamps and deserts. It has animals and plants and fish. Most of the creatures, in fact, seem to be based more on Earth animals than anything else. But one result of that is to make the creatures seem more “real” -- or at least as real as Muppets can feel. There’s no real sense that the ecosystem of the world “evolved” in any natural way, but familiar plant and animal shapes do lend a veneer of naturalness to the world, even if things are twisted all out of shape. And it’s worth noting that nothing looks exactly like an Earth animal.

There’s also not a whole lot of magic in THE DARK CRYSTAL. The crystal itself has some ill-defined powers that affect the world and its inhabitants, and there is the prophecy. But otherwise, things proceed more or less without any outright fantasy. Even these elements have a bit of logic behind them. There’s an old crone who uses a complicated piece of machinery to assist in figuring out her prophecies, for instance. And the Skeksis likewise use mechanical devices to focus the power of the crystal. The magical elements, in other words, don’t operate outside the logic of the world. They are inexplicable forces -- but forces that obey some natural laws of science nonetheless.

The other reason I decided to write about THE DARK CRYSTAL is that it’s a movie starring puppets. Like LABYRINTH, this is a Jim Henson movie through and through. But unlike that one, THE DARK CRYSTAL has no human actors at all. Every character is a Muppet of some sort -- either a hand puppet, a marionette, or a full-body puppet suit. (And possibly other kinds of puppets I couldn’t identify.)

There aren’t that many movies that have casts made up entirely of puppets. In fact, the only others I’ve watched for this blog are THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO (1966) and JOURNEY TO THE FAR SIDE OF THE SUN (1969), both of which were created by British puppeteers Gerry and Sylvia Anderson. There may be a few others I missed -- there’s at least one other THUNDERBIRDS movie anyway -- but it’s just not a common way to make a movie. Of course, puppet effects for specific monsters are fairly common -- Mothra and her offspring in MOTHRA (1961), the alien in ALIEN (1979), Yoda in THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (1981), E.T. in E.T.: THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL (1982) and countless others -- but its very rare that a movie relies solely on puppets to generate sympathy and excitement.

One reason for this is pretty clear from THE DARK CRYSTAL -- there’s a limit to what puppets can do and to how realistic they can be. The pace of the action in this movie is always hampered by the constraints of getting puppets to hit each other. And the faces of the puppets are often stiff and unemotional. Even some of the creatures (like the landstriders) are cooler in concept than they are in execution, and even in a relatively dark movie like this there are still Muppet-ish bits of comical character design that creep in.

I’m not really complaining though. There are always trade-offs when you use any kind of surrogates for human actors -- whether it’s cartoon animation, stop-motion animation, animal performers, computer graphics, or puppets. There is definitely a lot of artistry and craft in the puppets of THE DARK CRYSTAL. Even though none of them look much like the traditional Muppets, it’s still always obvious that the characters were designed by Jim Henson’s shop. There’s a clear and consistent aesthetic that ties everything together.

In the end, THE DARK CRYSTAL is yet another movie that’s not really science fiction. But its world is certainly believably alien in a way that most sci-fi alien worlds aren’t. The alien qualities of the characters are less well developed -- we don’t really see enough of any of the races’ cultures to get a taste of that. And the story and character arcs are all very much standard issue fantasy fare. But since I can’t really think of any other sci-fi movies that are set entirely on alien planets with no human characters at all, THE DARK CRYSTAL is probably as close as I’ll get to talking about that kind of story in this blog.

7 comments:

  1. This was one of my favorite movies from when I was a kid. If I had to say why I like it so much, I'd have to say it's the atmosphere. It's the whole look and feel of the movie that I find so appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually have no idea what Skeksi noise you are talking about which (luckily for you) means I could not replicate it even if I wanted to.

    And yes, I was surprised at how much I was delighted by all the details of the world. It is definitely a very fun movie for that reason!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really ought to have watched this movie by now, but I've never gotten around to it. I'm going to watch this movie tonight and I'll read/comment on your review when I'm finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, for most of the first quarter of the movie, I was unable to invest myself in the conflict and worried the it wasn't going to improve (though I did enjoy most scenes with the Skeksis, they're pretty great villains), but things started being pretty great once Aughra showed up and I had a much better time after that.

    Though all the puppets were noticeably stiff, the only puppets which seemed to have serious difficulties conveying emotions were the Gelflings. Perhaps that's partly because they were the only characters with any real emotional demands, but they seemed to flub even simple emotions the other puppets pulled off with ease. Getting most of the film's duff lines didn't help either. I suppose some of this is due to the more "realistic" style of muppet, using plastic instead of traditional, flexible felt. Just by clenching his fist the right way, Jim Henson could make a green sock with ping-pong balls express far more emotion than you'd think he could. There are stories of people accidentally holding up cue cards towards Jim Henson's puppets instead of the man himself, but it's hard to imagine that happening for these guys, who need to have tears added to just to show they're sad.

    Lightning Answer round: I think the best race was the easily the podlings, who were filled with character and I wish we could have seen a lot more of them. I liked the Garthim and how, despite being disposable minions, they represented a strong, unstoppable threat the protagonists had no way of dealing with. I can't agree with you on the Landstriders, I thought they were pretty cool. I groaned when I saw they were adding a love interest to an action-oriented film, but she felt like a real person and pulled her own weight, a combination that ought to be less rare in action-oriented films than it is. It wasn't perfect, but it was far better than I worried it'd be.

    Actually, I think that is my opinion for the entire film: Not perfect, but far better than I worried it'd be. It is filled to the brim with imagination and I'd recommend it to anyone who's interested!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Kfunque is referring to the wry squeal the outcast Skeksi constantly makes while observing occurrences from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I sent Matt a YouTube clip of him making that sound. I'm not sure why, though, as he's now going to be forever tempted to mimic it around me!

    ReplyDelete