Monday, December 28, 2009

Hiatus ending soon

All right, true believers, I am getting ready to be back in business with this thing for 2010. I had some unexpected things come up caused me to take a break a little earlier than I expected, but I had been planning to regroup and figure out my gameplan to attack the 1980s anyway.

It's a big decade for sci-fi movies, and there is no way I can even remotely hope to be comprehensive without watching literally about a hundred movies. And that would take me almost all year. So for the 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s, I am limiting myself to watching about 30 to 40 movies per decade. This means I won't be able to see everything, but I should be able to get to the most interesting stuff that I haven't seen yet and also some of the classics I want to see again.

But! If you have any movies that are near and dear to your heart that you really want me to watch, this would be a good time to make suggestions. I can't promise I'll watch or write about all of them, but I will definitely research them all and see if I should add them to my list. Also, I am eliminating screenshots at least for the time being, since they make the whole process more time-consuming. If you really need the visual stimulus, let me know and I'll see if I can restore them at least partially.

Finally, just to prove that this is not some idle promise forged of best intentions and no follow-through, here is a partial list of entries I already have written that will be going up in the coming weeks, starting with the week of January 4.

-- DEMON SEED (1977), in which Julie Christie is impregnated by an evil computer
-- WIZARDS (1977), the animated sci-fi/fantasy flick with Nazi bad guys that got Ralph Bakshi the job of adapting THE LORD OF THE RINGS
-- BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (1978), the original mini-series starring Lorne Greene, Dirk Benedict, and Jane Seymour
-- THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL (1978), in which elderly Gregory Peck plays Dr Josef Mengele (!) and gets into a fist fight with elderly Laurence Olivier (!!)
-- STALKER (1979), which has been requested by more than one person
-- THE LATHE OF HEAVEN (1979), the first made-for-TV sci-fi movie produced by American public television
-- FLASH GORDON (1980), a movie that is practically impossible to describe
-- THE ROAD WARRIOR (1981), which everyone except Americans will know by its original title of MAD MAX 2

And some additional surprises! So tell all your friends to come on by in the new year. And thanks for hanging around so long!

7 comments:

  1. I am pretty jazzed to have this back in my RSS again. I missed having something long and interesting to read a few days a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (1984)

    WATCH IT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys! It means a lot to me that you enjoy the blog!

    Miles: Done and done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, as long as you're taking requests, could you maybe watch Cobra: The Space Adventure? It is an anime about a Space Pirate named Cobra who goes on an adventure in space! It really is better than I'm making it out to be, but maybe you won't like it so much? It's sorta like a cheezier anime Star Wars. It was made in 1982, I think, and it was also known under vaious permutations of "space," "cobra," and "adventure."

    Here is a link with more info:
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=2272

    ReplyDelete
  5. Might I suggest Enemy Mine (1985)? I guess I might.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess I probably should watch some kind of straight up anime for this I GUESS but I am not sure where I would get SPACE COBRA specifically. Something like GHOST IN THE SHELL or uh oh gosh BUBBLEGUM CRISIS would be much easier to get. But I am not promising any anime at all right now. I will have to psyche myself up a lot to do it.

    Mack: Already on the list! I've been wanting to see it for a long time.

    ReplyDelete